Student Visa

Are you planning to study in Spain? At Sanchez & Salman International Lawyers we assist you to find the most suitable master’s degree or/and Spanish language course, accredited by Cervantes Institute which permits to request the residency permit.

We can also help you to find the most suitable accommodation for more than ninety (90) days at student residences in Barcelona.

What do you need to know?

If your plan is to study or extend your studies at an authorised centre in Spain for a period of more than ninety (90) days and you are a Non-EU national, you must apply for a study stay.

If the stay is more than six (6) months, you must apply for your identity card for foreign nationals (TIE).

There are two types for student visa:


For study programs between

3 and 6 months.

Short term student visa

For study programs 

more than 6 months.

Long term student visa

If you are planning to study for 

less than 3 months.

you do not need to apply for a student visa as your tourist visa will be sufficient.

When the application for student residency is accepted, you will be able to carry out employed or self-employed professional activities as a student, with the condition that those activities are compatible with your studies and do not exceed 30 hours a week.

Student residency therefore allow employment and self-employment work without the need to carry out any additional procedure, so long as this concerns higher studies, regulated training for employment or obtaining a certificate of professionalism, or training conducive to obtaining a certificate of technical aptitude or professional accreditation required for practicing a specific profession. The latter only applies to residence permits for studies obtained on or after 16 August 2022.

Who does it apply to?

If you are a non European Union citizen.

If you are outside Spain, you will apply for the study visa.

If you are legally in Spain, you will apply for the study permit.


Must not be a European Union or European Economic Area state or Switzerland citizen.

Have been accepted by an authorized educational institution in Spain (private or public) to undertake a full-time programme, to obtain a degree or certificate of studies.

Must not have a criminal record.

Have sufficient financial means to meet the expenses of your stay and return to your country and also your family members in case they obtain residency and join you.

Have private health insurance with an insurance company authorized to operate in Spain. We strongly recommend a Spanish company (we can provide you with a list of them)

If the duration of the stay exceeds six months, the following will be required:

In the case of the visa and before you travel to Spain, you must prove with a medical report that states you do not suffer from any diseases that may have serious public health implications.

We will provide you a medical report sample and will inform about the hospitals we know that their reports have been previously accepted by our Consulates.

Not having a criminal record in Spain or in your previous countries of residence during the last five years for offences existing in Spanish law.

How long is it valid for?

Both the visa and permit are valid for the same time as the study programme, with a maximum limit of one year, or two years if it is studies carried out in an authorized higher education institution.

Once the original visa (or residency) has expired, it may be extended annually if you are able to prove that you still meet the requirements and are continuing with the same or related studies. 

In that case, you must prove that you have passed any relevant tests or have met the requirements needed to continue those studies.

Can I bring my family with me?


Your family members may accompany you on your stay and, at any time, they may apply for this visa (and residency) jointly or subsequently. This condition applies to:

  • spouse or unmarried partner (pareja de hecho); 
  • children who are minors or who have a disability and are not objectively capable of providing for their own needs, due to their state of health.
I can bring my family with me
Sanchez & Salman International Lawyers and Consultants

How can we help you?

Help non lucrative residency

At Sanchez & Salman, our experienced lawyers and economists can help with the whole process to obtain your residency.

Obtain your student visa with Sanchez & Salman